SMOKY RHUBARB BARBECUE SAUCE
This sauce is tangy, yet sweet,
with just a touch of smokiness
AUTHOR: Trish | Rhubarbarians
- 5 cups rhubarb stalk, washed and cut into 1" pieces, about 4 stalks
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2-3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, about 1- 1½ heaping Tablespoons, depending on how smoky you prefer
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir well to combine.
- Heat over medium heat, until bubbling.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer until rhubarb is broken down and very soft, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender, or regular blender. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to a month, or freeze.
Source, images, credits & more information: Rhubarbarians